Fire is Hot
Everyone knows that fire is hot. But areas around a fire can get hot too, including the surfaces of the fireplace. In particular, the glass on the front of gas fireplaces can get very hot, with temperatures reaching levels high enough to cause severe burns.
All gas fireplaces should have a protective screen over the glass – and in fact, all fireplaces are required to as of January 1, 2015, as part of the new standards issues by the American National Standards Institute. (All Heat & Glo gas fireplaces and inserts are already outfitted with factory-provided protective safety screens and have been for more than a decade.) You can also get a free retrofit safety screen – visit HeatnGlo.com for more information. Screens reduce risks of serious burns by creating a barrier that prevents skin from coming into direct contact with the hot glass. Keep in mind, however, that screens can also retain heat, so touching them isn’t advised.
General Fireplace Safety Tips
When enjoying your gas fireplace, keep the following safety precautions top of mind.
• Keep clothing, furniture, draperies and other flammable materials a safe distance away from the fireplace.
• Keep children and pets a safe distance away from the fireplace. All parts of a fireplace can get hot, so any contact should be avoided.
• A fireplace will remain hot for a while even after it’s been turned off, so continue to use caution until it’s completely cooled.
The Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association produced this helpful video about hearth product glass safety.
You can prevent accidental fireplace glass burns by sharing the video and this blog with your friends and family, especially if they have young children.
Gas hearth products are a wonderful asset to any home. Please remember to always enjoy fires safely! More information about gas fireplace safety is available here.